Edinburgh, Fife & East Scotland

Neighbours help save Edinburgh flat fire pair

Two people have been rescued from a flat fire in Edinburgh after neighbours raised the alarm.

The Scottish Fire and Rescue Service (SFRS) said there was no working smoke detector at the property on Dundee Street.

The casualties were rescued before officers arrived at the flat, which was said to be "well alight" by the time crews got there.

The fire broke out at about 03:40 on Thursday.

The pair were treated for smoke inhalation at Edinburgh Royal Infirmary.

Group Manager David Mackie said: "This property did not have a working smoke alarm.

"Thankfully on this occasion a neighbour saw the fire and called us out."

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites