BBC vote for top 10 favourite books by Scottish authors
Readers are being asked to nominate their favourite book by a Scottish author as part of the BBC's Love to Read campaign.
Classic writers such as Robert Louis Stevenson and Sir Walter Scott sit alongside contemporary novelists including AL Kennedy and Maggie O'Farrell in a shortlist of 30.
A final top 10 will be revealed in a BBC Scotland programme in October.
To qualify for the vote the author must have been born or based in Scotland.
Pauline Law, executive producer of arts, said: "This is a list that will get people talking and reading.
"There is such a vast range of good writing in Scotland that choosing which books to include was incredibly difficult.
"I am really looking forward to seeing how the public will vote."
Online voting is open from from 1 to 26 August at bbc.co.uk/scotlandsfavouritebook.
The 30 shortlisted novels are:
- An Oidhche Mus Do Sheol Sinn (The Night Before We Sailed) - Angus Peter Campbell
- Garnethill - Denise Mina
- Harry Potter And The Philosopher's Stone - JK Rowling
- How Late It Was, How Late - James Kelman
- Imagined Corners - Willa Muir
- Knots And Crosses - Ian Rankin
- Laidlaw - William McIlvanney
- Lanark: A Life In Four Books - Alasdair Gray
- Life After Life - Kate Atkinson
- Morvern Callar - Alan Warner
- Rob Roy - Sir Walter Scott
- So I Am Glad - AL Kennedy
- Sunset Song - Lewis Grassic Gibbon
- The Adventures Of Sherlock Holmes - Arthur Conan Doyle
- The Cone-Gatherers - Robin Jenkins
- The Cutting Room - Louise Welsh
- The Panopticon - Jenni Fagan
- The Prime Of Miss Jean Brodie - Muriel Spark
- The Private Memoirs And Confessions Of A Justified Sinner - James Hogg
- The Strange Case Of Dr Jekyll And Mr Hyde - Robert Louis Stevenson
- The Testament Of Gideon Mack - James Robertson
- The Thirty-Nine Steps - John Buchan
- The Trick Is To Keep Breathing - Janice Galloway
- The Vanishing Act Of Esme Lennox - Maggie O'Farrell
- The Wasp Factory - Iain Banks
- The White Bird Passes - Jessie Kesson
- Trainspotting - Irvine Welsh
- Trumpet - Jackie Kay
- Under The Skin - Michel Faber
- Wire In The Blood - Val McDermid