Edinburgh, Fife & East Scotland

Fears over third gay killing in Edinburgh

Roger Gray
Image caption Roger Gray lived in Edinburgh's Merchiston Crescent

Police are trying to allay fears among Edinburgh's gay community following three deaths in the past month.

Officers said there was nothing to indicate a link between the three men who have died, but stressed they were keeping an open mind.

Roger Gray, 64, a lecturer murdered in his Merchiston home, is the third gay man killed in the city recently.

It follows the deaths of John Carter, 44, in Leith, and a man in Pilton who cannot be named for legal reasons.

The body of Mr Gray, who had worked at Heriot-Watt University, was found in the hallway of his flat at the weekend with multiple stab wounds.

A team of 40 detectives are investigating his murder.

Officers were called to the house by the gas board, who had been alerted to the smell of gas coming from the building on Saturday.

Lothian and Borders Police launched a murder inquiry on Wednesday following the results of the post-mortem examination, which revealed he had been stabbed in a "sustained attack".

'Open mind'

Mr Gray was employed as a senior lecturer in mathematics and statistics by Heriot-Watt University.

He had retired from full-time work around four years ago, but still taught part-time at the institution.

Detectives said they were devoting "extensive resources" towards finding his killer and appealed for help from the public.

Meanwhile, a Lothian and Borders Police spokeswoman said: "We recognise the potential concerns that these tragic deaths may have caused within the LGBT (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender) community, and we are making contact with LGBT groups and organisations in order to provide them with reassurance and advice.

"It is important to stress at this stage that there is nothing to indicate a link between the three deaths. However, and as always, we are keeping an open mind in terms of our inquiries.

"We would appeal to anyone who has any information that can assist our investigation into the death of Roger Gray to contact us as soon as possible."

John Carter and the third victim were found dead on 27 February.

Mr Carter was last seen leaving the Port O'Leith pub at about 2330 GMT on the 26 February with two men.

No arrests have been made.

A 26-year-old man appeared in court earlier this month charged with the Pilton death.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites