Edinburgh, Fife & East Scotland

Man suffers burns in Tranent candle fire

A man has suffered serious burns after accidentally setting himself alight with candles while renovating his home.

It is understood the 56-year-old, who was working in a property without electricity, was injured after his shirt caught fire.

Fire crews were called to the house in Tranent at about 0620 BST but the man had managed to extinguish the flames himself.

He was taken to Edinburgh Royal Infirmary suffering burns to his chest.

A spokeswoman for Lothian and Borders Fire and Rescue Service said: "We were called to attend at 0620 BST by the ambulance service.

"The man had already extinguished the fire and the crew made sure the building was safe."

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites