Edinburgh, Fife & East Scotland

Four in hospital after Sighthill flat fire

Broomhouse Gardens (Pic: John Easton)
Image caption The kitchen was gutted and the rest of the flat was badly damaged

Four people, including a child and an 18-month-old baby, have been taken to hospital following a kitchen fire in an Edinburgh flat.

The alarm was raised just before 0100 BST at a first-floor flat in Sighthill.

A Lothian and Borders Fire and Rescue spokeswoman said 16 residents managed to get out of the flats, in Broomhouse Gardens, before fire crews arrived.

Six people were treated at the scene before four of them were taken to hospital.

Two men, aged 35 and 37, and two young girls, aged 18 months and seven, were taken to Edinburgh Royal Infirmary.

They were treated for the effects of breathing in smoke.

Two other children, aged 10 and 14, were treated at the scene.

Another 10 people, who lived in the five neighbouring flats, managed to escape from their homes safely before the fire brigade arrived.

Lothian and Borders Fire and Rescue said the flat, which was not fitted with a smoke detector, was extensively damaged by the blaze.

A spokeswoman, said: "We believe the fire started in the kitchen.

"Damage to the first-floor flat was severe, the kitchen was gutted and the rest of the property was badly damaged by smoke and heat.

"A further property on the stair was also badly damaged by smoke.

"There was no smoke detector in the flat where the fire broke out.

"It's just a matter of luck that everyone got out of the building in time."

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites