Methil power station chimney blown up
A 300ft coal-fired power station chimney which has been standing on the Fife coast for almost 50 years has been blown up by explosive charge.
The lum of Methil Power Station is featured in two of artist Jack Vettriano's paintings, Long Time Gone and Long Time Gone II.
The power station became operational in 1965 and was one of only a few UK power plants designed to run on waste coal.
The main building was blown up in April with only the chimney left standing.
In its day, the station used sea water as a coolant and therefore did not need cooling towers.
Coal was brought to the site by train but freight ceased using the line when it closed.
Scottish Power currently leases the land.
The controlled explosion happened at 1430 BST.
Dylan Hughes, Scottish Power project manager, said: "Months of detailed planning has gone in to the demolition.
"This has been led by our contractors Brown and Mason who have carried out a wide range of surveys to consider all aspects of the operation, from the exact placement and size of the explosives required, to consideration of noise levels and vibration as well as ecological management.
"We would also like to thank the local police force who have worked closely with us to ensure that the operation could be planned safely, and that the exclusion zone could be managed in a such a way as to allow residents to watch the demolition take place.
"We are sad to see the end of the power station in Methil, which has played an important role in generating electricity for the East Fife area for nearly half a century.
"The station and the chimney stack in particular has been a major part of the local landscape."