Edinburgh, Fife & East Scotland

Fire rips through Xcite leisure centre in Whitburn

Whitburn Leisure Centre on fire
Image caption The fire has caused a section of the building to collapse

Firefighters were called to tackle a blaze which ripped through a leisure centre in Whitburn, West Lothian.

All 49 staff and patrons were able to leave the Xcite centre on West Main Street without being injured.

Onlookers watched the five fire and rescue crews put out the blaze which was thought to have been started by an electrical fault.

The emergency services were called to the facility, which has a 25 metre pool, just before 1400 BST.

The fire brigade said although there had been no casualties, part of the building - which was made mainly of wood - had collapsed.

Lothian and Borders Police said the fire was not thought to be suspicious but may have been caused by an electrical fault.

The police had urged people to keep away from the scene due to the high levels of smoke.

The leisure centre's website posted a message saying: "Xcite Whitburn is currently closed due to a fire. Please check our news section for further updates.

"We are sorry for any inconvenience this may cause and encourage you to use one of our other venues."

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites