Edinburgh, Fife & East Scotland

Landfill workers treated after Fife nitric acid spill

Nine workers and two paramedics have been treated in hospital after a barrel of nitric acid overturned at a landfill site in Fife.

The chemical incident happened at Lochhead Landfill site in Dunfermline just before 11:30.

The 11 were taken to Queen Margaret Hospital in Dunfermline by ambulance after breathing in fumes from the liquid.

The landfill site was closed and the area evacuated as a precaution.

Ten of the people taken to hospital have since been released while one has been admitted but is not said to be giving cause for concern.

Decontamination procedures

Michael Enston from Fife Council said: "No members of the public have been injured during this incident and all of the emergency services have been present.

"The landfill site was closed and the area evacuated as a precaution, with all landfill operations suspended.

"Lochhead has now reopened but the materials recovery facility remains closed until decontamination procedures have been completed."

Investigations into the incident will be carried out over the next few days.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites