Edinburgh, Fife & East Scotland

'Big man' video: Train incident conductor back at work

First Scotrail conductor Alan Mitchell said he was "delighted to be back"
Image caption First Scotrail conductor Alan Mitchell said he was "delighted to be back"

A train conductor who featured in a video watched by millions on the internet has returned to work.

Mobile phone recordings by a passenger on board the Edinburgh to Perth train on 9 December were viewed around the world on YouTube.

It shows a man - since dubbed 'Big Man' - throwing a teenager off a train after he argued with a ticket inspector.

Conductor Alan Mitchell, 63, said he was "delighted to be back". It is understood he had been on sick leave.

His employer First ScotRail would only say that Mr Mitchell had been on leave since the incident.

The conductor, who has been a railwayman for 37 years, said: "I have always wanted to return to duties. Railways are my hobby as well as my job."

He added: "I never get that 'Monday morning feeling' and I'm delighted to be back. I really like my work."

Two weeks after the incident, British Transport Police said a man had been charged over an alleged assault on Scotrail's 21:33 Edinburgh Waverley to Perth train on Friday 9 December.

Alan Pollock, 35, from Stirling, was named as the man who allegedly removed 19-year-old Sam Main from the train at Linlithgow station.

Mr Main, from Falkirk, was not charged but was reported to the procurator fiscal for allegedly breaking the Criminal Justice and Licensing Scotland Act (2010), which relates to threatening or abusive behaviour.

The Crown Office said the case remained under consideration.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites