Edinburgh, Fife & East Scotland

Man and woman treated after candles fire in Edinburgh

A man and a woman were taken to hospital after unattended candles caused a fire at a house in Edinburgh.

Firefighters were called to the blaze at Cakemuir Gardens in the Niddrie area of the city at about 01:30.

An 18-year-old man and a woman, aged 20, were given oxygen at the scene before being taken by ambulance to the city's Royal Infirmary.

Lothian and Borders Fire and Rescue said the blaze started when candles were left unattended in a bedroom.

The man and woman were said to be suffering from smoke inhalation.

Fire crews in the city also dealt with a separate blaze at Saughton Mains Place overnight.

The emergency services were called to the scene at about 02:20.

A woman from the flat and her male neighbour were treated at the scene by ambulance staff.

It is understood a pan of food had been left unattended. A fire service spokeswoman said there had been smoke and fire damage to the kitchen.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites