Edinburgh, Fife & East Scotland

Man in hospital after flat fire in Edinburgh

A man has been taken to hospital after a "severe" fire in an Edinburgh flat bedroom.

Firefighters were called to the incident in the first-floor property in Ramsay Place, Portobello, at about 05:20.

Two men were rescued by officers and one was taken to hospital.

A 50-year-old man was suffering from severe smoke inhalation and was given oxygen by officers before paramedics took him to Edinburgh Royal Infirmary.

The other man was checked over but did not need to go to hospital.

'Severe damage'

A spokeswoman for Lothian and Borders Fire and Rescue said: "Six officers wearing breathing apparatus entered the flat and led the men to safety.

"The fire caused severe damage to the bedroom it started in and smoke damage to the rest of the flat and the central stairs of the building."

The building was checked for damage but other residents in the block did not need to be evacuated, the spokeswoman added.

Firefighters also dealt with a chip pan fire in a ground-floor flat in the city at 20:24 on Wednesday.

A resident of the property in Claverhouse Drive tried to extinguish the blaze before leaving the house to wait for the fire service to arrive.

A neighbour then entered the house to make sure the fire was out.

He had to be led to safety by firefighters when they arrived at the scene and was given treatment for smoke inhalation.

He did not need further medical attention, the service spokeswoman said.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites