Family rescued after kitchen blaze in Leith

Firefighters led a family to safety after a blaze in the kitchen of a flat in Edinburgh.

Crews were called to a fifth floor property at Cables Wynd House in the Leith area at about 12:15.

Lothian and Borders Fire and Rescue Service said firefighters found a pan of food alight.

A man, 29, a woman, 24, and two children, a girl, 7, and boy, 3, were treated for suspected smoke inhalation at the scene.

A spokeswoman for the fire service said: "A pan of food was alight within a fifth floor flat and was extinguished by removal and the property was vented."

More on This Story

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

BBC Edinburgh, Fife and East

Weather

Edinburgh

Min. Night 4 °C

Features & Analysis

  • Woman in swimming pool Green stuff

    The element that makes a familiar smell when mixed with urine


  • Plane at Shannon airportShannon's call

    The airport that hosted a roll-call of presidents


  • Record playing on turntableVinyl destination

    The eight tribes of people who keep buying records


  • The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge at RAAF Amberley airbase near Brisbane on 19 AprilIn pictures

    Fighter jets and screaming crowds for William and Kate


Elsewhere on the BBC

  • ITChild's play

    It's never been easier for small businesses to get their message out to the world

Programmes

  • Tuna and avacadoThe Travel Show Watch

    Is Tokyo set to become the world's gourmet capital?

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.