Edinburgh, Fife & East Scotland

Reece Fleming jailed for Edinburgh knifepoint rape

A man who forced a disabled mother to witness the knifepoint rape of her teenage daughter in Edinburgh has been jailed for four years and eight months.

Reece Fleming, 21, from Kirkliston, repeatedly ordered the wheelchair-user to watch as he attacked her daughter at an Edinburgh house on 28 November 2012.

Fleming also stabbed his knife into a teddy, given to the mother by another daughter who has since died.

Judge Lord Bannatyne told him he had committed "a truly appalling crime."

At the High Court in Edinburgh, the judge said: "It involved sexual violence, threats, including threats to kill, the presentation of a knife followed by rape."

Lord Bannatyne added: "That rape was carried out in the presence of the victim's mother which, in my view, is a most unimaginable thought.

"That mother is, of course, confined to a wheelchair."

Eventually the mother managed to get to the bathroom and dial 999.

Police arrived and found the women "shaken and upset" in the damaged flat.

'Completely uncontrolled'

Fleming, who works as a delivery driver for a Chinese takeaway, was told that only his guilty plea, saving the women from giving evidence at a trial, had saved him from a seven-year prison sentence.

Defence QC Brian McConnachie said: "He accepts that during the course of this he was acting in a completely uncontrolled, bizarre and frightening manner."

Fleming had pleaded guilty to assaulting the 18-year-old girl and her mother, raping the daughter.

He also admitted behaving in a threatening or abusive manner by stabbing a teddy bear and the woman's wheelchair, smashing a laptop and ripping up photos and a calendar.

Lord Bannatyne made an order extending the time Fleming will remain subject to licence conditions, following his release, by two years.

Fleming will also be on the sex offenders' register for life.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites