Edinburgh, Fife & East Scotland

James Ferguson jailed for string of attacks in East Lothian

A man who carried out a string of attacks with a knife and screwdriver in East Lothian, after his release from prison, has been jailed.

James Ferguson, 30, formerly of Tranent, must serve a minimum period of two years and three months in prison.

Lord Uist imposed an Order for Lifelong Restriction (OLR) on Ferguson after telling him: "I am satisfied you are a violent and dangerous man."

Ferguson earlier admitted the string of offences.

He had admitted attacking Dean Harvey with a screwdriver at a bus stop near the Wallyford Miners' Club in the early hours of 2 June 2012.

Ferguson ran towards the victim and began "punching" him and struck him on the back before Mr Harvey was able to run off.

Advocate depute Martin Macari earlier told the court that as he did so, he saw that Ferguson had "a silver object" in his hand.

Stanley knife

Ferguson later chased Mr Harvey and William McKay in Tranent armed with a knife. Mr McKay was hit on the hand after Ferguson swiped at him with the weapon.

On 25 June he approached Lewis Sives who had been at school with him, but as they entered St Martin's Lane, in Tranent, he took out what appeared to be a Stanley knife and began shouting at him.

A struggle broke out and Ferguson repeatedly tried to strike him on the body.

On 5 July he put a large knife to a woman's head and threatened her.

He took a mobile phone and house keys from the victim, Claire McAulay, and went to her home and got her bank card and prescription tablets.

At the High Court in Edinburgh, Lord Uist told Ferguson: "It does not automatically follow you will be released at the end of the punishment part of the sentence."

He said Ferguson would only be freed when the parole board decided it was no longer necessary for the safety of the public that he continue to be held in prison.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites