Edinburgh, Fife & East Scotland

Unconscious woman carried from Edinburgh fire

Firefighters carried an unconscious woman from a burning flat in Edinburgh after a fire broke out in the property below.

Crews had been alerted to smoke near a boiler of the second-floor flat in West Montgomery Place but found a fire in the bedroom of the flat underneath.

They found an unconscious woman who was treated for severe smoke inhalation and taken to Edinburgh Royal Infirmary.

The fire, which is under investigation, broke out at about 13:00 on Saturday.

In an earlier incident, a 74-year-old woman was led to safety by firefighters from a blaze at a three storey-building in Edinburgh's Dumbrydon Gardens at about 10:00.

The woman was checked over by the ambulance service at the scene but did not need to go to hospital.

A spokeswoman for the fire service said the blaze had been caused by smoker's materials, which set fire to the carpet in the living room.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites