Pizza box fire spreads to bath in Burntisland
Fire crews were called to a flat in Fife after a candle ignited a pizza box which then set fire to a bath.
The Scottish Fire and Rescue Service said the male occupant had moved the pizza box into the bathroom in an attempt to extinguish the flames.
The fire broke out in Rossend Terrace, Burntisland, just after 02:00. The man did not need hospital treatment.
The fire service said a smoke detector had alerted the man to the fire.
Fire crews in Fife were later called to another fire which was started by a candle.
The blaze, in a second-floor flat in Abel Place, Dunfermline, was discovered at about 10:20.
The fire service said a neighbour had been alerted by their own smoke alarm going off.
They ran to the flat and woke the male occupant, who did not have an alarm in his flat.
He was treated for smoke inhalation and burns to his hands before being taken to hospital.
The fire was caused by a candle left unattended in the bedroom.
Steven Michie, from the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service, said: "Whether you are using candles to scent or decorate your home please remember to extinguish them before you go to sleep and never leave them unattended even for a second.
"If you must use candles please ensure they are in a non combustible candle holder and placed on a non combustible surface."
He added: "Fire can very quickly get out of control. Attempting to tackle a fire yourself is extremely dangerous and risks the fire escalating."