Edinburgh, Fife & East Scotland

Kieran Moran jailed after attacking three men in Glenrothes

A teenager who attacked three men, leaving one with severe brain injuries, has been jailed for eight years.

Kieran Moran, 19, assaulted the men in Glenrothes - just four days after being released from detention.

Sean McTague, 50, David McNaughton and John Strachan, both 59, were injured when Moran and a group of teenagers ran at them "like a pack of wolves".

The High Court in Livingston had heard that Mr McTague would need round-the-clock care for the rest of his life.

Moran, from Leslie, had denied the assaults which took place un June 2014, but was convicted after a trial.

During the trial Moran's co-accused, Gavin Somerville, also 19, from Leslie, told the jury that Mr McTague's family had suffered long enough and said: "I want the truth to come out. It was him (Kieran) that did it."

The jury at the High Court in Livingston took four-and-a-half hours to return unanimous verdicts finding Moran guilty of punching Mr McTague to his permanent impairment and to the danger of his life and of assaulting Mr McNaughton and Mr Strachan while acting with others.

Mr McNaughton's jaw was broken with a single punch and Mr Strachan suffered an injury to his eye socket.

Criminal record

At an earlier hearing, witness Brian McTague, 49, told the jury his brother Sean was now "a vegetable" with poor short-term memory and unable to walk unaided.

Sommerville was acquitted of the same charges after the jury returned majority not proven verdicts, but was convicted of breaching a bail order.

On Thursday he was admonished for breaching bail at the time the assaults were committed.

Moran has a criminal record for violence.

He was given an 18-month community payback order at Kirkcaldy Sheriff Court in January 2012 for repeatedly punching a man on the face, knocking him to the ground and kicking him on the face.

In May 2013 he was sentenced to 18 months detention at Cupar Sheriff Court for assault to severe injury by punching a man in a phone box,causing him to knock his head, fall to the ground and lose consciousness, then repeatedly kicking his victim on the head and body.

And he was given a further 105 days for a domestically-aggravated assault against his then partner, who he repeatedly pulled by the hair and repeatedly punched on the head and body to her injury.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites