Boy hurt by train electric shock in Midlothian
A schoolboy is seriously injured in hospital after receiving a huge electric shock when he is thought to have climbed onto the roof of a train in Midlothian.
The 13-year-old was hurt near Whitehill Road in Dalkeith.
He was taken by ambulance to Edinburgh Royal Infirmary following the incident at 18:00 on Friday.
It is believed the boy suffered a serious leg injury which is not life-threatening.
British Transport Police renewed its warning to parents and children about the dangers at railways.
A spokeswoman for British Transport Police said: "Officers attended and established the teenager had received an electric shock from an overhead cable, possibly after being on top of a freight train.
"The boy was rushed to hospital with a serious leg injury, which is not believed to be life-threatening.
"We are currently working to understand the full circumstances of what happened and how the teenager came by his injuries.
"Our inquiries are at an early stage but we would like to take this opportunity to remind people the railway is an extremely dangerous environment.
"Parents are urged to talk to their children about the hazards and remind them to stay away from the tracks."