Glasgow & West Scotland

Second man arrested in Reamonn Gormley murder probe

Reamonn Gormley
Image caption Reamonn Gormley was a psychology student at Glasgow University

A second man has been arrested in connection with the murder of Blantyre teenager Reamonn Gormley.

The 19-year-old was stabbed on Tuesday night in the South Lanarkshire town, as he made his way home from watching football in the Parkville pub.

A 22-year-old man is already in police custody over the death and an 18-year-old is also now being held.

The arrest comes as more than 1,000 people took part in a memorial walk in tribute to the student.

People on the march said they had turned out because they were shocked at Mr Gormley's death.

The crowds stretched for more than a mile and took more than an hour to walk round the town.

The walk started and ended at the Parkville, where Mr Gormley managed to return to after the attack.

In a statement released by Strathclyde Police, Mr Gormley's family described him as "a wonderful son and a loving and caring boy".

Image caption The crowds who turned out for the walk stretched for more than a mile

His parents and brother also thanked the Blantyre Walk and Rollers group for organising the commemorative march.

One of the organisers, John Tierney, said: "Myself and a few others organised a peaceful memorial walk in memory of Reamonn to show our respect and support for his family and also to show that we're coming together as a community in this sad, sad time."

Mr Gormley and a friend were heading back home from the Parkville pub, where they had been watching the Aberdeen v Celtic game, when he was stabbed in what police described as an entirely random attack.

'Help people'

The Glasgow University student's friend managed to take him back to the Parkville to get help, but he died of his injuries later in East Kilbride's Hairmyres Hospital.

Following his death, Mr Gormley's friends paid tribute to him, with one saying they were blessed to have known him.

Close friend Darren Martin said: "All the way through school, with academic stuff, he would always try to do his best but he would never put anyone down.

"He would always strive for himself and when he was excelling he would try to help people excel as well."

Mr Gormley left John Ogilvy High School in Hamilton in 2009 and worked for a children's charity in Thailand for a year before starting a psychology course.

The two men who have been arrested are expected to appear at Hamilton Sheriff Court on Monday.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites