Glasgow & West Scotland

Former soldier killed friend at house in Larkhall

A former soldier has been convicted of killing his friend at a house in South Lanarkshire, in an argument over money.

Brian Lindsay was found guilty of the culpable homicide of 48-year-old Andrew Campbell in Larkhall, last December.

The 40-year-old, understood to have served in the Queen's guard at Balmoral, was on trial for murder, but was convicted of the reduced charge.

The court heard evidence from the killer's teenage son who was in the house when Mr Campbell died.

Jurors at the High Court in Glasgow were told both men had gone to Lindsay's home for a nightcap, after a night out.

Mr Campbell was violently attacked after wrongly accusing Lindsay of stealing £400 from him.

The court heard he believed Lindsay had taken his wallet containing the cash, but was in his back pocket all the time.

Mr Campbell was repeatedly punched on the head and body, forced to the ground and repeatedly punched to the head and had his head struck off the floor. He suffered a total of 58 wounds.

Lindsay's 15-year-old son Shaquile Lindsay, who was in the house with a friend when the killing took place, told the court he went downstairs three times to see what was going on. On each occasion he saw his father hitting Mr Campbell.

On the last occasion he said: "Andy was on his knees shouting at my dad not to hit him again and calling him a thief.

"My dad said: 'I'm nothing like a thief' and hit him on the face. It was a really hard punch and he rolled onto his side and then onto his back."

'Mad argument'

The teenager told advocate depute David Young, prosecuting: "Andy was snoring by this time and my dad put a fleece over him."

Under cross-examination by defence advocate Tony Graham the teenager was asked: "Were you concerned enough to phone an ambulance?" He replied: "No."

Mr Graham then asked: "Did it appear that anything bad was going to happen?". The youngster replied: "No."

About an hour later, Lindsay called an ambulance after realising that Mr Campbell was cold and unresponsive.

In a 999 call he told the operator: "He's not moving."

During the call Lindsay said: "It was a mad wee argument. He said I stole £400 from him, but it was in his back pocket."

Judge Lord Brodie called for background reports and will sentence him next month at the High Court in Edinburgh.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites