Glasgow & West Scotland

Crews tackle Polmadie fire station blaze

Strathclyde Fire and Rescue has issued a reminder on the importance of smoke alarms - after one of their own stations went on fire.

Polmadie Community Fire Station was hit with a small electrical blaze on Wednesday night.

But staff were able to deal with it quickly after being alerted by the station's fire detection system.

Station commander Dougie Boyd said: "A fire can happen to anyone. Not even the fire service is immune."

The fire saw two rooms damaged, although Polmadie, in the south of Glasgow, is continuing to operate a normal service.

Mr Boyd said: "I would urge all members of the public to log on to our website to find out what they can do to protect their homes."

Strathclyde Fire and Rescue said it offered a free fire alarm fitting service, through calling 0800 0731 999 or texting "Check" to 61611 from a mobile phone.