Glasgow & West Scotland

Ad trailer plea over Sharkey family house fire murders

Bridget and Thomas Sharkey
Image caption Bridget and Thomas Sharkey both died on the day of the fire

An ad trailer is to be used by police in a bid to catch the killer of three family members who were murdered in a deliberate house fire in Helensburgh.

Thomas Sharkey, 55, his son Thomas Jnr, 21, and daughter Bridget, eight, died following the blaze at their family home in Scott Court last month.

Their mother Angela is still in a serious condition in hospital.

The ad trailer, featuring the victims' pictures, will be sited in Helensburgh and appeal for more information.

It will be parked in the town's Sinclair Street at its junction with West and East Clyde Streets from 12 until 21 August.

Det Sup Peter McPike, who is leading the investigation, said: "Despite numerous appeals for information, and a Crimestoppers reward, we have still to trace those responsible for these murders.

"In the last week, there have been very few calls to the incident room with any information on this crime which is disappointing, although I must also point out that those few calls have been very helpful.

"I realise that there may be reasons why people with information haven't yet come forward, this can often be through misplaced loyalty or fear.

"I would like to take this opportunity to point out that three people, one of whom is an eight-year-old year old child, are dead and a family has been left devastated by this terrible crime."

Det Sup McPike said any information passed to police would be treated in confidence.

He added: "I would urge members of the public who know anything and have not yet come forward to look to their conscience and make that call.

"I want local people in Helensburgh to give us details of anyone they know who was out and about in the local area in the early hours of Sunday 24 July 2011, especially around four or five o'clock in the morning."

Image caption Thomas Sharkey Snr died in hospital six days after the fire

The officer said it had been reported that he was keen to trace two "suspects" who were in the local area at the time but this was not the case.

He said they were "potential witnesses who may possess information that is critical to this investigation".

One was seen in John Street and the other was crossing West Princes Street going in the direction of a lane known locally as Rowatt's Lane.

Det Sup McPike added: "I would appeal for these people to come forward or for anyone who knows who these people may be to contact the incident room.

"We will trace whoever is responsible for these three murders, but we would appreciate any information the local community can provide.

"Please don't wait for the police to visit you at home. Do the right thing and come forward - you could hold the vital piece of information which could help lead us to whoever is responsible for this dreadful crime."

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites