Glasgow & West Scotland

More jail time for hammer murderer Tracey Hastie

Tracey Hastie
Image caption Tracey Hastie was jailed for life for the murder

A woman jailed for life for murdering a mentally ill man in a hammer attack has had her jail term extended after her former co-accused was freed.

Tracey Hastie, 41, and Ian Taylor, 38, were ordered to serve 18 years for killing Brian Sharp in Glasgow in 2006.

Taylor's conviction was quashed and he was cleared after a retrial.

Hastie has had another 12 months added to her sentence for contempt of court after refusing to give evidence at Taylor's retrial last month.

During their trial, the High Court and Glasgow heard that Taylor and Hastie met at an addiction rehabilitation centre in the city.

Double conviction

The jury was told that in October 2006, the pair had been drinking with 38-year-old Mr Sharp at his home in the city's Milton area when they turned on him.

The court heard that they taped their victim to a chair, beat him with a hammer at least 80 times, and then stabbed him in the chest with a fork.

Both denied the murder, claiming the other had carried out the attack.

A jury convicted them both and trial judge Lord Brailsford ordered them to serve a minimum of 18 years before being eligible for parole.

Image caption Ian Taylor's conviction was quashed after the judge misdirected the jury

Taylor's legal team lodged an appeal on the grounds that the jury was misdirected by the judge.

They said that during the trial a number of witnesses gave evidence about statements made by Taylor's co-accused, Hastie, in their presence.

When Lord Brailsford came to direct the jury, he omitted to give any direction as to the use that could be made of the hearsay evidence.

Taylor's defence team successfully argued that he failed to tell the jury that this evidence could not be used to prove the case against their client.

After his conviction was quashed, Taylor faced a retrial.

He admitted being in the house when Mr Sharp was killed but claimed he was asleep during the attack.

'Not proven'

The jury found the case against him not proven and he was freed.

During the trial, Hastie, who was listed as a Crown witnesses, refused to give any evidence.

She made a brief appearance in the witness box and declined to say anything other than to state her name and age.

Hastie was later convicted of contempt of court.

Lord Bracadale told Hastie that the additional 12 months would run consecutively to her current jail-term - meaning she will not be eligible for parole until 2027.

The judge said: "Having taken the oath, you refused to answer questions despite being directed to do so. That was a blatant contempt."

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites