Glasgow & West Scotland

Dr Tariq Mahmood fined over gas 'poison risk' in flat

A GP from East Renfrewshire has been fined for failing to maintain a gas boiler and exposing student tenants to the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Dr Tariq Mahmood admitted breaching gas safety regulations by failing to maintain the boiler at the flat in Oxford between 2009 and 2010.

He was later prosecuted by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) after the matter was reported by a gas engineer.

The HSE said Dr Mahmood's lack of care could have had "serious consequences".

At Oxford Magistrates Court, Dr Mahmood was given a conditional discharge for a period of two years and ordered to pay costs of £4,928.

Boiler condemned

The court heard he had called a gas installer to the flat to repair the boiler on 17 December 2010.

The installer refused to service the appliance and called an emergency gas engineer, who immediately condemned the boiler and flue. He then reported it to the HSE.

The HSE investigation revealed that Dr Mahmood had failed to maintain the flat's boiler and flue for two years between January 2009 and December 2010.

This action endangered the lives of the students who lived there, exposing them to the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning.

After the hearing, HSE inspector Dozie Azubike said: "Dr Mahmood's lack of care could have had very serious consequences for his Oxford University student tenants.

"Every year approximately 20 people die and many others suffer ill health from carbon monoxide poisoning."

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites