Child dies of E. coli infection
An eight-year-old girl has died at the Royal Hospital for Sick Children in Glasgow after contracting E. coli 0157.
BBC Scotland understands the girl is from Dalrymple in East Ayrshire.
NHS Ayrshire and Arran said it did not believe the case was part of an outbreak, and it has not identified a particular source which might represent a risk to others.
Dr Jane Cooper, a consultant in public health medicine, expressed her sympathy to the girl's family.
She added: "Sometimes it is possible to identify a particular source of E. coli O157 infection. An outbreak may occur if a number of people are exposed to the same source.
"NHS Ayrshire and Arran is satisfied that this case is not part of an outbreak, and has not identified a particular source which might represent a risk to others.
"E. coli O157 infection is very easily picked up and sometimes investigations cannot identify either a particular source, or any way in which the risk of infection could have been avoided."
Symptoms normally develop after ingesting contaminated foods or liquids or having been in contact with infected animals.
Infected cases often develop a fever leading to sickness and diarrhoea.
The health board has issued precautions which can be taken to reduce the risk of infection, including washing hands after contact with possible sources such as raw food and milk and animal faeces.