Glasgow & West Scotland

Cameron Paterson admits abducting and robbing Grace May

A man has admitted threatening to stab a 73-year-old woman in the neck with a syringe during a car-jacking and robbery attack in Glasgow.

Cameron Paterson, 34, admitted jumping into Grace May's car after she left Silverburn Shopping Centre in May.

He forced the OAP to withdraw £200 from an ATM.

Paterson, who has a lengthy criminal record, committed the offence while on a community payback order for a previous crime. Sentence was deferred.

The High Court in Glasgow heard how Paterson was caught soon after the incident when a local shop worker recognised him.

'Drive, drive'

He now faces a lengthy jail term after admiting abduction and robbery.

The court heard Mrs May had gone to the Silverburn Shopping Centre on 30 May and returned to her car around 18:00.

She was in the driver's seat when Paterson got in and yelled: "Drive, drive".

The pensioner - who works as a carer - tried to push him out, but he managed to close the door.

Prosecutor Stephen O'Rourke told the court: "He threatened that if she did not drive, he would stick a needle into her neck.

"He also stated that he had a knife inside the bag he was carrying."

Mrs May believed she was going to be hurt and agreed to Paterson's demands.

He told her to stop at a nearby business park and asked her for money. The pensioner gave him £20 and also offered him her mobile phone.

The handset was old and Paterson claimed it was "useless".

'No tricks'

He then made her stop at a cash machine in Boydstone Road, Thornliebank, and he joined her at the ATM.

Mr O'Rourke said: "There were people waiting there and the accused instructed Mrs May to wait until they had gone and continually repeated: 'No tricks'.

"She was, by this time, paralysed with fear and did not shout out or attempt to attract attention."

Mrs May withdrew £200 and gave it to Paterson, who then left his victim and went into a nearby off-sales to spend some of the cash.

Mrs May managed to drive to her work and told a colleague what happened before police were called.

Previous crimes

The court heard a worker at the off-sales recognised Paterson as a regular customer.

When he returned to the same store the day after the abduction, police were alerted and he was detained.

Paterson had been given an alternative to prison - a community payback order - just a month before the attack on Mrs May.

He had previously been jailed at the High Court in 1998 for assault and robbery.

Paterson was also locked up for house-breaking in June 2010 and he has further convictions for violence, car thefts and disorder.

Judge Lord Burns said he is considering an extended sentence when Paterson returns to the dock later this month.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites