Glasgow & West Scotland

Fire badly damages terraced house

A two-storey terraced house has been extensively damaged following a morning fire in East Ayrshire.

Two appliances from Strathclyde Fire and Rescue were sent to the blaze at Main Street, Ochiltree, at 08:00.

The fire service stated: "The initial attending crews were faced with a well-developed fire involving the first floor and roof."

An additional appliance had to be called to help prevent the fire spreading to adjacent properties.

Nobody was injured during the fire.

However, Watch Commander Gary McKay said: "This type of incident highlights the importance of having a working smoke detector in the home."