Sixth person arrested in Scotland during terrorism probe
- 30 October 2013
- From the section Glasgow & West Scotland
A sixth person has been arrested in Scotland over alleged terrorism offences, Police Scotland has said.
A statement said that a man was detained under Section 41 of the Terrorism Act 2000.
Four men and woman were arrested at various locations last week. They appeared at Glasgow Sheriff Court on Tuesday charged with terror offences and conspiracy to murder.
They made no plea or declaration and were remanded in custody.
Martin Hughes, 34, Anton Duffy, 39, and 27-year-old Stacy McAllister, all from Glasgow; Paul Sands, 30, from Ayr; and Edward McVeigh, 26, from Portpatrick, were detained during police raids across the country last week.
The operation was led by Police Scotland and also involved the Police Service of Northern Ireland and the security service.
After the operation, Police Scotland said it had focused on the "activities of individuals sympathetic to dissident republicanism, but who are not affiliated to any specific group".
The five people were held at the Scottish Terrorist Detention Centre in the Govan area of Glasgow before appearing in court on Tuesday.
They were charged with planning acts of terrorism between 1 February and 23 October at a property on Old Castle Road, Cathcart, Glasgow.
They face charges under Section 5 of the Terrorism Act 2000 which deals with facilitating, planning, organising and conspiring to commit acts of terrorism.
It is alleged they tried to get a hold of firearms and explosives with a view to carrying out terrorist offences, including "damage to property and murder of civilians".
They each appeared separately in private at Glasgow Sheriff Court where they made no plea or declaration and were remanded in custody by Sheriff Ian Miller.
They are due to appear next week for full committal.