Glasgow & West Scotland

Car tracking device snares Daniel Paita over murder bid

A man has been jailed for 11 years for attempted murder after a tracking device on a courtesy car helped police place him at the scene of the attack.

Daniel Paita, 32, drove to an address in Glasgow in February last year where he cut the throat of Barry Divers.

The 29-year-old victim suffered a life-threatening cut to his jugular vein.

Mr Divers identified Paita, who denied carrying out the attack. The tracking device on the Audi A3 he was driving placed him at the scene.

Passing sentence at the High Court in Edinburgh, judge Lord Stewart said: "You were convicted after trial by a majority verdict of the jury of the attempted murder of Barry Carrol Divers by slashing his neck with a knife or similar instrument.

'Calculated attack'

"The wound sliced his external jugular vein and he would have bled to death if it had not been for the prompt medical attention which he received.

"On the basis of the evidence led at trial this was a calculated attack."

The judge added that a custodial sentence was "the only viable option" and ordered Paita to be supervised for five years after his release from prison.

During Paita's earlier trial at the High Court in Glasgow, the jury heard how there was bad feeling between a friend of Mr Divers and Paita's brother James.

Mr Divers was invited to meet an intermediary in Ryeside Road, Glasgow, to try to sort things out.

Instead, he was confronted with Paita, who attacked him with a knife.

The court heard that Paita, from Kirkintilloch, East Dunbartonshire, was driving a courtesy Audi A3 on the day of the attack as his own car had been involved in a crash.

Movements traced

In evidence, Paita denied that he was driving the A3 or even in it on the day in question.

The court heard how the tracker device on the car showed police all of Paita's movements that day, including a visit to his then girlfriend for 30 minutes.

He then drove to Ryeside Road and parked there for two minutes. It was during these moments that Mr Divers was attacked.

The court heard that the victim's jugular vein was cut but not severed.

His life was saved by residents who packed his wound with towels before he was taken to nearby Stobhill Hospital.

In court, Mr Divers said Paita was his attacker and when asked if he was sure, he replied: "Yes, I've known him for 20 years."

Despite his claims of innocence, the jury convicted Paita of attempted murder.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites