Motherwell residents evacuated over asbestos will be out until Monday
- 4 July 2014
- From the section Glasgow & West Scotland
More than 100 residents evacuated from flats in Motherwell when asbestos was disturbed by workers will remain out of their homes over the weekend.
North Lanarkshire Council said all residents had been moved out of Anderson Tower, Anderson Street, on Thursday as a precaution.
Some people were put up in hotels and temporary council accommodation, while others stayed with friends and family.
Clean-up work on dust found in halls and lobbies will continue until Monday.
The council's housing operations manager Stephen Llewelyn said: "As a precautionary measure, the contractor has been instructed to clean all halls and communal areas.
"Tenants will not be able to return to the building until we are satisfied that this is complete."
He added: "We are confident that any risk is extremely low. Asbestos generally poses a health risk through exposure over a long period in high concentrations.
"What we have found is small areas of settled dust.
"We are working closely with Scottish Power, their contractors and the Health and Safety Executive to ensure all safety standards are met."
Mr Llewelyn added that residents "fully appreciate" the efforts of council staff.
He said: "We are very grateful to both the residents and their families for their support.
"Emptying a block of flats within the timescale was no easy task and we are pleased that, working with the tenants and their families, this was a textbook operation."