Glasgow & West Scotland

Four rescued from fire at flats in Chapelhall

Four people have been rescued from a block of flats in North Lanarkshire after a fire broke out in the close.

Crews were sent to the flats in McPherson Crescent, Chapelhall, shortly before 00:30 on Monday.

Ladders were used to remove four people from the building. Two women and two children were checked by paramedics before one of the women was taken to hospital as a precautionary measure.

The cause of the blaze was said to be a couch on fire in the communal close.

'Extremely frightening'

Bellshill fire station manager Tom Sinton said: "The fire was in the entrance area of the building and it produced a large amount of smoke that affected several flats on the floors above.

"The incident commander committed four firefighters in breathing apparatus to extinguish the flames and conduct search and rescue operations, which resulted in four people being removed from the building by ladder."

He added: "A fire in a communal close can be extremely frightening for anyone in the connecting properties as it cuts off their means of escape.

"It's important that closes are always kept clear of items that could catch fire or block people trying to exit the building and we strongly encourage anyone who spots a build-up of materials in communal areas to report it immediately."

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites