Glasgow & West Scotland

Pensioner dies following house fire in Burnbank

George Court Image copyright Google
Image caption The fire broke out in George Court, Burnbank

A pensioner has died following a house fire in Hamilton.

The man, thought to have been 77, was rescued from the blaze in George Court, in the Burnbank area, but died later in hospital.

Firefighters were called to the scene just before 18:55 on Tuesday.

The man was treated by a paramedic before being taken to Hairmyres Hospital, where he later died. A woman was also taken to the hospital suffering from smoke inhalation.

The fire, which is not being treated as suspicious, is thought to have been started by a cigarette.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites