Glasgow & West Scotland

Molon Baraka jailed over Glasgow Green sex attack

Police forensic teams in Glasgow Green Image copyright Craig McMurran
Image caption A roll-up cigarette close to the attack scene was found to have Baraka's DNA on it

A man who dragged a woman into bushes in Glasgow Green and attempted to rape her has been jailed for four years.

Molon Baraka, 26, an asylum seeker from Sudan, admitted attacking the 51-year-old woman in the park on 5 January.

The High Court in Glasgow heard how the victim fought back and scared Baraka off with her screams.

He was caught after the terrified woman managed to grab a library card with Baraka's name on it from inside his pocket during the attack.

'Stuff of nightmares'

Jailing him, judge Lord Matthews told Baraka: "This is the stuff of nightmares. A woman was dragged into a secluded area in the dark thinking she was going to be raped.

"It may have been her screams and struggling which caused this episode to stop, otherwise this serious case would undoubtedly have been even worse.

"We can only speculate what long-term psychological damage will have been caused to your victim."

Lord Matthews also ordered Baraka to be monitored in the community for two years after his release.

He stated that would depend on whether Home Secretary Theresa May orders him to deported after completion of his sentence.

The court heard that attack happened as the woman made her way to work at a supermarket in the early hours of the morning.

Baraka approached her in Glasgow Green and initially asked her for a cigarette.

He then said "money" and "sex", but the woman ignored him.

Baraka then grabbed his victim and dragged her towards a grassy area in the park.

Victim's cries

She begged him to let her go and continued to struggle and scream for help.

When he pinned her to the ground, the woman started to fight back.

The court heard she managed to put her hand in a pocket of his top and grab a library card, keys and a mobile phone.

The woman continued to cry for help, which eventually lead to Baraka fleeing the park.

Police were called after the woman broke down at her work.

Officers took the items taken from Baraka's pocket and were able to trace him to a flat in the city's Bridgeton area from the name on the library card.

Baraka initially insisted he had not been in Glasgow Green, but then claimed he had been drinking at the time "for the first time in his life".

He added: "Even if I have done it, I wasn't conscious because nobody would do such a thing."

It also emerged a roll-up cigarette close to the attack scene was found to have Baraka's DNA on it.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites