Campsie View Care Home fined £30,000 after OAP scalded
A care home has been fined £30,000 after an 85-year-old resident suffered burns when she was placed in a bath that was too hot.
Elizabeth Warrington received scald injuries to her hands and feet at Campsie View Care Home in Kirkintilloch in September 2009.
Four Seasons Health Care, which runs the home, had admitted health and safety breaches.
Sheriff Daniel Scullion described the incident as "avoidable".
Glasgow Sheriff Court heard that Ms Warrington was 80 at the time of the incident and had been a resident of Campsie View since April 1995.
The court heard the water should have been no hotter than 43C, but a later check found it was between 56C and 65C
Sheriff Scullion said that bathing vulnerable residents properly was an "integral" job in care homes.
The penalty was reduced from £40,000 due to the guilty plea.
Ms Warrington was born with a disability meaning she can not speak and requires the use of a board to communicate. She is unable to walk unaided.
The incident happened after staff failed to properly check the temperature before placing Ms Warrington in the bath.
Staff only became aware there was a problem with the bath when she became visibly distressed.
Ms Warrington was treated for three weeks at Glasgow Royal Infirmary and was discharged with no lasting effects.
The two staff members involved, carer Joseph Rae and assistant carer Jacqueline Mitchellini, were suspended following the incident and chose not to return.