Glasgow & West Scotland

Steven McCall jailed for life for Senga Closs murder in Uddingston

Senga Closs Image copyright Other
Image caption Senga Closs died after being stabbed three times by Steven McCall

A man who was convicted of murdering a woman he claimed he "loved to bits" has been jailed for life.

Steven McCall, 43, stabbed Senga Closs, 47, through the heart, at their home in Uddingston, South Lanarkshire, on 4 or 5 April last year.

He blamed his best friend or someone unknown but was convicted after a jury heard how he confessed to his sister.

At the High Court in Glasgow, McCall was told he must serve a minimum of 16 years in prison.

Sentencing McCall to life, judge Lord Matthews said: "You were convicted of the murder of a vulnerable and well-liked lady, who is obviously a significant loss to her friends and family. You now show remorse."

Spat in dinner

Lord Matthews said that no-one will know for sure what happened that night, but added: "You took a knife and repeatedly struck her with it."

Jailing McCall for a minimum of 16 years, the judge added: "This does not mean you will be released after this time. That will be up to others in the parole board to decide."

The court heard that just days before Ms Closs was murdered by McCall, she told her best friend June Grey that he spat in her dinner and tried to strangle her.

On the night of the murder, the couple rowed and McCall stabbed his partner three times with a kitchen knife and then left her to die in the kitchen. The fatal blow pierced her heart.

Advocate depute Angela Gray, prosecuting, said: "He plunged the knife into her. Again and again and again.

"Senga's hands were cut as she tried in vain to defend herself from his murderous attack."

The court heard that McCall's shoes and trousers were stained with her blood.

When his sister Jacqueline McCall phoned him just after midnight, he confessed to her that he had stabbed Senga with a screwdriver.

The court was told that McCall did not phone an ambulance or try to help Ms Closs until 22 minutes after admitting the stabbing to his sister.

Covered in blood

During the trial, McCall blamed his best friend Mark Hernon or someone unknown for the murder.

In evidence, Mr Hernon denied killing Ms Closs and said he was not at the couple's house that night.

When McCall gave evidence, he claimed that he found his partner lying dead or dying, covered in blood and had nothing to do with her death.

He said: "I was her carer. I loved her to bits. I've not done a thing wrong, not a thing wrong. I know I am in the clear."

He said he could not remember saying to his sister that he had stabbed Ms Closs.

McCall told police who arrived on the scene: "I can only think she's let someone in the house and it has all went wrong."

Prior to sentencing, solicitor advocate Rhonda Anderson, defending, said: "Mr McCall now fully accepts his guilt.

"Senga Closs was a loved and warm-hearted person and he is remorseful for what he did."

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites