Glasgow & West Scotland

Fisherman Andrew MacGillivray jailed for Islay attack

A fisherman who almost killed a man for trying to defuse an argument between him and a woman in a bar on Islay has been jailed for six years.

Andrew MacGillivray, 33, punched Keith Cameron and stood on his chest, causing his ribs to crack, near the Ardview Inn, Port Ellen, on 23 March last year.

He admitted assaulting the 41-year-old to the danger of his life.

MacGillivray was told at the High Court in Glasgow that he would be monitored for three years after his release.

Sentencing MacGillivray judge Lord Bannatyne told him: "This was a brutal, sustained and wholly cowardly assault.

"It was a pre-meditated revenge attack and the results were extremely serious and Mr Cameron is very lucky to be alive."

The court heard that MacGillivray got into an argument with a woman in the bar and Mr Cameron stepped in to try and calm him down.

Victim unrecognisable

MacGillivray was asked to leave the pub but waited nearby for Mr Cameron to leave.

When he spotted the victim, he knocked Mr Cameron down with a punch before beating him up as he lay on the ground and standing on his ribs.

Mr Cameron - who is known locally as Cabana - was later spotted by a passing couple who knew him but they were unable to recognise him due to his injuries.

As an ambulance took Mr Cameron to hospital, MacGillivray returned home and told his wife: "I think I've killed Cabana. I hope he's OK. I know I hurt his ribs."

He insisted Mr Cameron had a "go" at him in the bar before MacGillivray later assaulted him.

'Act hard'

The father-of-three said he stood on Mr Cameron's ribs, heard them crack and the victim's chest "went as flat as his stomach".

Police later arrested MacGillivray but, before being held, he told his father-in-law: "I did it - I would do it again and worse. If you want to be hard, you have to act hard."

Mr Cameron had injuries to his face, eye and significant fractures to his chest. He was eventually flown to the Southern General Hospital in Glasgow for treatment.

A doctor said the injuries to the chest were more commonly found when a heavy object falls onto a person.

The medic added Mr Cameron's life had been at threat and that he was "fortunate to be alive".

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites