Glasgow & West Scotland

Charles Rennie Mackintosh centre at Willow Tearooms

Willow Tea Room
Image caption The tearoom on Sauchiehall Street was designed by Charles Rennie Mackintosh

A visitor centre dedicated to renowned architect Charles Rennie Mackintosh is to open next to one of his most famous buildings - Glasgow's Willow Tearoom.

The trust which owns the tearoom, and a voluntary organisations group, have jointly paid £2.3m for an adjacent building on Sauchiehall Street.

The Willow Tearoom Trust hopes the centre will "celebrate and safeguard Charles Rennie Mackintosh's legacy".

The remainder of the space will be used to benefit voluntary groups.

The Willow Tearoom and interiors were designed and built in 1903 for Kate Cranston, who ran several tearooms in the city.

Space need

Last year The Willow Tearoom Trust took over the building with the aim of restoring it and the interiors to their former glory.

Trust founder Celia Sinclair said: "We already knew that to fulfil our vision, and for practicalities such as installing lift access, we would require additional space.

"We were interested in the adjoining buildings and they couldn't have come on the market at a better time."

The trust bought the adjacent building, with the Scottish Council for Voluntary Organisations (SCVO), for £2.3m.

Ms Sinclair added: "With SCVO's help we have a great opportunity to create something truly special and sustainable in Sauchiehall Street that will celebrate and safeguard Charles Rennie Mackintosh's legacy."

SCVO will use the balance of the building to provide workspaces and offices to charitable organisations.

Related Topics

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites