Glasgow & West Scotland

Glasgow bin lorry crash: Date set for inquiry into tragedy

Glasgow bin lorry crash Image copyright PA
Image caption The bin lorry crashed in George Square after killing six people

A fatal accident inquiry (FAI) into the Glasgow bin lorry crash in which six people died will be held in July.

A statement issued by the Judiciary of Scotland said the FAI, before Sheriff Principal Craig AL Scott, would begin on 22 July at Glasgow Sheriff Court.

Six people died and 10 others were injured when a council bin lorry crashed into pedestrians in Glasgow city centre on 22 December.

The Crown Office has already said that no-one will face criminal charges.

The statement issued by the Judiciary of Scotland said: "A date has been set for the fatal accident inquiry (FAI) relating to the road traffic incident which resulted in the deaths of six people and left 10 injured in Glasgow city centre on 22 December 2014.

Families informed

"The FAI will commence on 22 July 2015 before Sheriff Principal Craig AL Scott QC at Glasgow Sheriff Court."

It said a preliminary hearing would take place on 13 April and the families of those involved had been informed of the dates.

The six people who died in the crash were teacher Stephenie Tait, 29, from Glasgow; student Erin McQuade, 18, and her grandparents Lorraine, 69, and Jack Sweeney, 68, from Dumbarton, West Dunbartonshire; tax worker Jacqueline Morton, 51, from Glasgow; and 52-year-old Gillian Ewing, from Edinburgh.

Image caption (Clockwise from top left) Jack Sweeney, Lorraine Sweeney, Erin McQuade, Jacqueline Morton, Stephenie Tait and Gillian Ewing were killed in the crash

The bin lorry went out of control on Queen Street before crashing into the Millennium Hotel at George Square, close to the city's Queen Street rail station.

Many of those who were struck had been out Christmas shopping.

Police investigating the crash submitted their initial report to prosecutors at the end of January.

In February, Harry Clarke, the driver of the Glasgow City Council bin lorry, told the Daily Record newspaper that he had fallen unconscious at the wheel and could not remember anything about the crash.

Mr Clarke, 58, also said that he understood that bereaved families and those who were injured wanted answers about what exactly had happened.

More on this story