Police seek closure of Arches nightclub after woman collapsed
Police are seeking to have the Arches nightclub in Glasgow shut down.
It follows an incident at the weekend in which a female clubber was found unconscious in the venue.
A total of 26 drug and alcohol-related incidents were recorded by police at, or outside, the club on Saturday night.
Glasgow City Council's licensing board will consider a request for a closure order at a meeting on Wednesday. The Arches said it remained committed to the health and safety of its customers.
A club night on Saturday was cut short after a young woman was found unconscious within the venue.
An emergency closure order was served by Police Scotland under the Licensing Scotland Act 2005.
Police said they would be submitting a report to the city council and seeking further action.
Ch Insp Mark Sutherland, area commander for Glasgow city centre, said: "I am committed to ensuring the safety of those who socialise within Glasgow city centre and this closure was absolutely necessary to achieve this.
"Glasgow City Police recorded 26 offences for drug and alcohol-related incidents at or outside this venue on Saturday night which is completely unacceptable.
"I am keen for young people to enjoy the city but please do not use drugs of any kind and drink responsibly."
Glasgow City Council confirmed it had received a complaint from Police Scotland.
A spokesman said a request for a permanent closure order for the club would be considered by the licensing board.
Last year the Glasgow venue announced it was raising its minimum age for admission to 21 after the suspected drug-related death of a teenage girl who fell ill there.
Regane MacColl, 17, died after becoming ill at the club last February. Police linked her death to an ecstasy-like "Mortal Kombat" tablet.
The Arches box office and cafe venue remained closed on Monday.
A statement on the Arches' website said: "Having worked in increased partnership with Police Scotland and done all that has been asked to further mitigate risk at club events since the tragic events of February 2014, the Arches is disappointed to be summoned to tomorrow's Licensing Board hearing.
"However, we remain wholly committed to the health and safety of our customers and are fully prepared to consider any further recommendations that the hearing may bring."