Asbestos warning over disused school fire in Coatbridge
Firefighters tackling a blaze at a disused school in North Lanarkshire have warned people living nearby that asbestos is present in the building.
Crews were called to the former Drumpark Primary School in Coatbridge Road, Coatbridge, at about 06:30.
The Scottish Fire and Rescue Service said the building had been "severely damaged" in the blaze.
Local people have been advised to keep their windows closed due to the presence of asbestos at the site.
A thick plume of black smoke coming from the site could be seen from the M8.
The fire service said the blaze was "well developed" by the time crews arrived.
It said a joint investigation into the cause of the fire would be conducted with Police Scotland.
The school - which catered for children with special needs - has since been relocated to Albert Road where it merged with Greenhill Primary School.