South Lanarkshire College evacuated due to gas leak
A college in Lanarkshire has been evacuated and closed for the rest of the day due to a gas leak.
The Scottish Fire and Rescue Service said crews were called to South Lanarkshire College in East Kilbride at about 09:30.
About 1,300 students and staff were inside the building at the time and were moved to a safe area.
Roads around the site were closed for a time and residents warned to remain indoors.
All classes have been cancelled.
Police Scotland and gas engineers from SGN are on site working on the leak.
A spokesman for the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service said: "Members of the public living nearby are being asked to remain indoors with windows closed whilst the incident is ongoing.
"A number of roads have been closed to facilitate access to the scene.
"There is no further information at present and the incident is very much ongoing."
A statement on the college's website said: "The building will not open today for general access.
"The nursery has been relocated to The James Watt Building in the Scottish Enterprise Technology Park.
"Remaining staff and students have relocated to the James Watt and the Nasmyth buildings in the Technology Park.
"Afternoon and evening classes are cancelled. Interviews, assessments and exams are cancelled. Please don't worry, we'll make alternative arrangements."