Glasgow & West Scotland

Man murdered by friend at Glasgow flat stabbed 40 times

Elizabeth Street in Glasgow
Image caption Mr Gibb's body was found in a close at Elizabeth Street in Glasgow

A man has admitted murdering his friend in a frenzied attack which left the victim with 40 stab wounds.

Gavin Riley, 27, attacked William Gibb in the 47-year-old's flat at Elizabeth Street in Ibrox, Glasgow on 1 February.

He then ordered another man, William McIntyre, to get a chainsaw to cut up the body, but Mr McIntyre alerted a neighbour who contacted police.

At the High Court in Glasgow, sentence on Riley was deferred but he faces a mandatory life term for murder.

The court heard Riley and Mr Gibb were friends and they lived in the same building.

'I'm your friend'

At about 16:00 on the day of the murder, Riley took Mr McIntyre to Mr Gibb's flat where they socialised for a number of hours.

Later, Mr Gibb said something to Riley, who motioned to hit him but did not.

A few minutes later Riley grabbed Mr Gibb from the sofa and repeatedly punched him on the face.

Mr Gibb pleaded: "What are you doing I'm your friend?".

Riley appeared to back off but then told Mr Gibb to punch him and threatened to hit him if he did not.

He then grabbed the victim, threw him to the floor again and hit him with an ashtray and another item, before leaving the flat.

Riley returned a few minutes later with a kitchen knife, which had a 10in blade.

Neck slashed

He asked Mr Gibb if he needed help to get up and became more angry when the victim replied: "No, you've just done this to your pal."

The court heard Riley then repeatedly stabbed Mr Gibb in the buttocks, legs and back.

He again asked the victim if he wanted help to get up but Mr Gibb replied: "No, you've put me there."

This angered Riley further and he repeatedly stabbed Mr Gibb on the left side of his body and slashed the left side of the neck, killing him.

Riley tried to wrap the body in a rug then started cutting his arm and ordered Mr McIntyre to get a chain saw.

Mr McIntyre left and asked a neighbour to contact police.

He returned to the building to find Riley dragging Mr Gibb's body at the back of the close.

When police arrived Riley tried to flee but he was arrested and taken to Cathcart police station where officers found he was in possession of a bloodstained knife.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites