Glasgow 'second top in UK' for asylum seekers per head of population
Glasgow has been placed second top in a list of 10 UK areas for the number of asylum seekers per head of population.
The Press Association used Home Office data to rank council areas with the highest and lowest figures.
Middlesbrough came top with one asylum seeker per 167 people, slightly ahead of Glasgow with one per 189 people.
Fife, West Lothian and Falkirk were all placed in the top 10 UK council areas for the lowest number of asylum seekers per head of population.
The figures were calculated using the latest available data from the Home Office, collected at the end of March.
- Middlesbrough (one per 167 people)
- Glasgow (one per 189)
- Rochdale (one per 201)
- Stockton-on-Tees (one per 221)
- Cardiff (one per 263)
- Swansea (one per 272)
- Bolton (one per 275)
- Newport (one per 302)
- Liverpool (one per 304)
- Salford (one per 317)
- Wiltshire (one per 241,572 people)
- North Somerset (one per 208,154)
- Fife (one per 183,625)
- West Lothian (one per 177,200)
- Basingstoke & Deane (one per 172,870)
- North Down & Ards (one per 157,931)
- Falkirk (one per 157,690)
- Canterbury (one per 157,649)
- South Cambridgeshire (one per 153,281)
- Windsor & Maidenhead (one per 147,400)