Warning after venomous fish spotted in Ayrshire
A warning has been issued after a species of venomous fish was spotted at a beach in South Ayrshire.
The weever fish was sighted recently at the south end of Ayr beach.
The fish bury themselves in the sand during the day, exposing venomous spines along their dorsal fins. If stood on a person's foot can become swollen and painful for weeks.
South Ayrshire Council said it was not aware of anyone being stung but people using local beaches should be aware.
The council's environment director Lesley Bloomer said the guidance was being issued as a precautionary measure.
"Weever fish are common to our coastal areas, but the recent hot weather means there are more of the fish than normal," she said.
"We were contacted by a member of the public with a reported sighting on Ayr Beach recently and are now spreading the word to let people know what to look for."
"I would stress that there have been no reported injuries because of people getting stung and by promoting a common sense approach we hope that families will still enjoy their time by the sea."
The council said that for healthy adults who get stung, the most effective treatment was to put the affected limb in water as hot as you can stand without causing scalding.
The heat helps to break down the poison and it also increases blood flow to the sting causing natural cleaning and healing.
The recommendation for the most at-risk groups - the very young and elderly - is to seek immediate medical attention.