Highlands & Islands

Man admits raping runaway girl at Bragar on Lewis

High Court in Edinburgh. Pic: Crown copyright
Image caption The court heard of other offences committed in Inverkeithing in Fife

A teenage runaway was raped after going to the only house in a village with its lights on, the High Court in Edinburgh has heard.

The 15-year-old girl had arrived in Bragar, on Lewis, at night with a friend.

They later left Joseph Shaw's home after the teenager's friend had become alarmed by his dirty appearance and filthy state of his house.

The 47-year-old has admitted raping the girl on 25-26 February this year.

Shaw also pleaded guilty to indecency with a girl who was between 14 and 16 years old, simulating sex with a nine-year-old girl and exposing himself to an eight-year-old girl at a house in Inverkeithing, Fife.

Advocate depute Andrew Stewart QC, prosecuting, said the offences were committed between December 2007 and February 2011 and came to light as a result of the police investigation into the rape.

Judge Lady Stacey told Shaw she needed background reports before she could sentence him and remanded him in custody until next month.

'Falling asleep'

The court heard that the 15-year-old girl and her friend had been drinking before arriving in Bragar.

Mr Stewart said it was not clear how they had ended up in Shaw's home, but one of the girls said it was the only house with lights on.

The girls asked if they could stay the night as there was no public transport out of the village at that time of night and Shaw agreed.

Mr Stewart said the 15-year-old was "falling asleep" as Shaw led her upstairs to a room with a sofa bed.

He said: "In the bedroom the girl lay down on the sofa bed and was falling asleep when she realised that the accused had come into bed and was lying beside her."

Shaw held the girl down with one arm and assaulted her.

'Dirty appearance'

About 20 minutes later, the girl's friend became suspicious about Shaw being in the same room with her friend for so long and went to where they were.

Mr Stewart said: "She found the accused's dirty appearance and his dirty and bare house un-nerving."

The friend called the police but lied to Shaw, claiming her mother was coming to pick them up.

As they left the house, the 15-year-old began crying and said she had been raped.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites