Highlands & Islands

Search in Cairngorms for Yorkshire walker stood down

Image released by Northern Constabulary
Image caption Grant Cunliffe had reached a bothy in the Lairig Ghru

The latest search for a hillwalker who failed to return home to North Yorkshire following a trip to the Cairngorms has been stood down.

Grant Cunliffe, from Skipton, was thought to have been at the Corrour Bothy in the Lairig Ghru on Wednesday before continuing his walk.

The 49-year-old was reported overdue on Saturday.

Several mountain rescue teams, search dogs and a helicopter have been involved in searches for Mr Cunliffe.

Searches were made on Sunday and Monday before starting again earlier on Tuesday.

Northern Constabulary said 180 people had looked for Mr Cunliffe over the past three days.

Up to 70 personnel were involved in the latest search which concentrated on the hills around Corrour Bothy, Angel's Peak, Devil's Point, Cairn Toul and nearby corries.

A police spokesman said: "A third day of searches has failed to find any trace of the missing man and his family have been made aware there will be no further searches tomorrow."

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites