Highlands & Islands

Fort Augustus man Gerard McNally died taking mole poison

Raigmore Hospital
Image caption Mr McNally died at Raigmore Hospital in Inverness

A man under investigation for alleged sex offences ate a tablet of mole poison when police came to his home to arrest him, a sheriff has said.

Gerard McNally, of Fort Augustus, later collapsed in an Inverness police station toilet.

He died at the city's Raigmore Hospital on 13 August 2010, about two and a half hours after his arrest at his home.

In her determination, Sheriff Margaret Neilson said Mr McNally had been determined to take his own life.

She said the 48-year-old was aware that he was under investigation and it appeared that he had the poison ready for when the police arrived to arrest him.

Ms Neilson said: "This action could not have been anticipated by the police officers.

"Every effort was made to save his life at Burnett Road Police Station by the ambulance service paramedics and then by the medics at Raigmore Hospital, Inverness, but all attempts proved fruitless."

The sheriff's determination followed a fatal accident inquiry held at Inverness Sheriff Court.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites