Highlands & Islands

Six rescued from flat fire in Portree on Skye

Five people have been taken to hospital suffering from smoke inhalation following a fire in the first floor of a two storey block of flats on Skye.

Firefighters rescued six people from the building in Cruachan Place in Portree after the alarm was raised just after 02:00.

Scottish Fire and Rescue Service rescued one person by ladder while the others were led to safety.

The service said smoke alarms had prevented a more serious incident.

Three appliances, one from Portree, one from Uig and one from Staffin, were sent to the scene.

Incident commander Alistair Jupp said smoke alarms had alerted residents to the fire.

He said: "The fact that the properties had working smoke alarms almost certainly prevented a more serious incident.

"The residents were wakened by the alarms and began to make their way out.

"Our crews had to rescue six people from the building, but it could have been very different if they had not been given early warning by the alarm."

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites