Highlands & Islands

Dounreay control room given to museum in Thurso

Control room at Dounreay Image copyright DSRL
Image caption The control room was used in the 1950s and 60s

A control room at a Scottish nuclear power plant has been dismantled and transferred to a museum.

The panels from Dounreay will become a permanent exhibition at Caithness Horizons in nearby Thurso.

The control room was used for the Dounreay Materials Testing Reactor (DMTR), which in 1958 became Scotland's first operation nuclear reactor.

The DMTR, which was housed in a steel pressure vessel nicknamed the Upturned Dustbin, was closed in 1969.

Other materials and tools from Dounreay have been recycled or reused. The site is being decommissioned and demolished.

A worker at the plant salvaged hardwood panelling that decorated an entrance porch to a building called D8550, the plant's former education and training centre. He used the wood to make banjos.

Spanners used in the demolition of a nuclear power plant are now helping to refurbish a steam engine.

Made to imperial measurements, the tools loosened nuts and bolts at Dounreay which modern metric equipment could not.

The spanners were to be scrapped as they were no longer needed.

However, they have been donated to Aviemore's Strathspey Steam Railway for use in the renovation of an engine rescued from a scrap yard in Wales.

One of two fire engines specially built and equipped to deal with liquid metal fires at the site was also donated to enthusiasts.

Related Topics

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites