Highlands & Islands

Woman dies after 'candle starts fire' in Lochend house

A woman in her 60s has died following a fire in a house near Inverness.

It is understood that Friday night's blaze in Lochend may have been caused by a candle during a power cut caused by stormy weather.

The woman along with two men had got themselves out of the house before firefighters arrived. The woman died in hospital.

The Scottish Fire and Rescue Service (SFRS) has issued a warning about the use of candles during power cuts.

Emergency services were alerted at 21:14 on Friday to the fire in the first floor of the two-storey, semi-detached house.

The woman was assessed by paramedics and taken to Raigmore Hospital in Inverness. It is understood that she died from a medical condition.

Six firefighters wearing breathing apparatus entered the house to locate and extinguish the blaze and prevent fire spreading to the adjoining property.

The fire was extinguished by 21:57. SFRS has started an investigation into the incident.

SFRS group manager Phil Green said: "We know that people often use candles in the home, particularly during power cuts, and we would like to remind people to be careful.

"If you are using candles, try not to expose yourself to any unnecessary risk of fire.

"Keep candles on hard, flat surfaces and away from any flammable materials such as curtains and upholstery and never leave candles burning if you leave the room, house or go to bed."

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites